Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On the road with the UWM swim team ... Part IV

With the UWM swimming team down in Florida on their annual training trip, we thought it would be fun to have a member of the team share their thoughts each day on the UWM Blog.

The Panthers are in sunny Fort Lauderdale, training at Pinecrest Academy, both short and long course. The team hotel is right on A1A on the beach for the fourth-straight year. They will be on the trip through the 15th of January before resuming the regular season schedule second semester against Carthage College on Jan. 16.

****************************************************************************

The fourth blog entry comes from freshman Mary Kuyvenhoven:

Let me start by saying that Florida kind of rocks my socks. Today was the warmest day thus far. It started out a little shaky and me and Rachel Rabitski kept a close eye on the clouds. But they parted and we all enjoyed some Florida sunshine as we powered through Melvins.

Two of the vans ventured to Dandee Donut Factory despite Dave’s hiccup the day before. I decided not to chance it. Instead, I ate my ninth PB & J sandwich of the trip and headed to the beach. On the way there, I saw Chloe Lewis and she told me I looked like a native. Needless to say, everyone’s tans are coming along nicely. When I went to the beach I saw gigantic waves. Today was the day I would get in the ocean. Chris Jenkyns and Maggi Beck guided me through body surfing and CJ used his connection with Poseidon to predict the big ones and root out the waves we like to call the “teasers.” We were joined by Kyle Clements who ventured out into the sand for the first time since we’ve been here.

Back on the beach, Maggie Pease and Danielle Chapman rented a jet ski and proceeded to promptly fall of it at the first sign of a wave. Brian Verink started digging a giant hole with a hotel ice bucket and that seemed to occupy everyone’s attention for a while. Personally, I don’t understand why anyone would want to dig a giant useless hole, but I’m more of a beach reader myself.

Rumors of the Pain Train surfaced and everyone went inside to nap in preparation. But, alas, it didn’t happen and we did underwaters and downs instead. For the second hour we did weights where I sweated like a man with Randee Cardinal and then the day was over!

I’d like to end today’s blog by giving a birthday shout out to Sophia Schmidt. I feel like despite the swimming, Florida is a pretty good birthday present. It beats Wisconsin, anyway. On that note, I’d like to sign off.

Over and out.
Indiana Mary