Thursday, September 18, 2008

Still More Thoughts On Bud

A few additional thoughts on Bud ...

Detroit Director of Athletics Keri Gaither

"Bud Haidet has been a tremendous role model, mentor and friend since I joined the Detroit Titans program. His dedication to the advancement of intercollegiate athletics with a solid focus on academic achievement and student-athlete welfare is evident in everything he's done at Milwaukee. I wish him all the best in his new adventure."

UWM Volleyball Coach Susie Johnson

“Bud has played a very critical role for me, personally. I have been here 13 years and a lot of that has to do with Bud. He gave me an opportunity to be an assistant coach and then saw my development to become a head coach and he didn’t waver at all as soon as the opportunity came. He made me feel like I could do it, he gave me confidence and hired me as the head coach here. I am very grateful to him and I think he has done a great job with the transition into division one. It is really hard to believe that we have only been D-I 20 years with all of the championships and all of the NCAA Tournaments, so he clearly has done a great job hiring good people all-around and making them comfortable and keeping them here.”

UWM Men’s Soccer Coach Jon Coleman

“He has shown a lot of leadership since I was a player here in 1993. The soccer program has grown by leaps and bounds and he has helped guide the way. At the same time, I think he has created an environment for success and it’s great he has been able to hire some significant and quality people – Brian Tompkins and Louis Bennett within the soccer program – to be associated with those types of people and I am glad that he gave me the opportunity. We wish him all the best for whatever the future holds. He leaves a legacy and he has taught me a lot and has been very helpful and influential in the program’s success, my success and the success of UWM as a whole.”

UWM Baseball Coach Scott Doffek

“I think the baseball program is a microcosm of his whole career here. We started from zero … we weren’t even a division one program when he got here. And myself, along with (former UWM baseball coach) Jerry Augustine – who started in 1995 – slowly grew the program under Bud’s leadership. I think we are at the point now where we are a healthy division one program and a lot of that has to do with Bud’s impact.”