Monday, March 21, 2011

Catching Up with Sarah Hagen...


Sarah Hagen returned from Spain earlier this month, where she played with the U.S. U23 Women’s National Team at the Four Nations Tournament in La Manga. She led the team to a tournament win with a 2-0-1 mark and seven points. Hagen scored goals in all three games. She had the game-winner in a 4-2 win over Sweden on Feb. 25 and scored the first goal of the game in a 1-1 draw with England two days later. On March 1, the WNT trailed 2-0 against Norway, but pulled within one in the 71st minute and Hagen knotted the game at 2-2 eight minutes later with her third goal of the trip. Just four minutes after that, she set up the game-winning goal.

We talked with Sarah about her trip, competing with a national team and what she can bring back for her Milwaukee side.

How was the competition you played against? Your individual stats were good, happy with your personal play?
“The competition in Spain was really good. It felt really good knowing that I was playing with and against some of the best girls in the world. You can’t really ask for better competition than that. Individually, I was very pleased with my performance, but I was just glad that I could contribute to the team’s success. Everybody on the team has a role and we each fulfilled them. Our coaches talked about winning our individual battles and we will the game or tournament. They all stressed the importance of outworking your opponent. In each game we played, we were able to match the other team’s intensity and then some, which had an impact on our success. I really enjoy playing with this team and building the friendships with all of them. Since I first joined the team last spring I think the team chemistry has gotten a lot better and we are playing a lot better together.“

Ever been to Spain before? What were your thoughts?
“It was my first time to Spain and I absolutely loved it. I would love to go back there to see more on my own time. Before joining this team I had never been out of the country and now I have been to England, Germany, and Spain. Being a part of this team has really helped me grow as a player and as a person.”

What was your primary role that the coaches asked you to fill? Have you been told of the next camp or competition that you will be involved in?
"Going into the camp I didn't know if I was going to start or even get any playing time, but you have to have the mindset that if you do get a chance you need to be ready. I just feel really blessed to have gotten the opportunity from the coaches to show my abilities. I have not been told when the next camp is. They usually inform you two weeks before camps so we'll see.”

After this camp, what do you think that you will bring back to help the team this spring?
“I think the biggest thing that I can bring to the team for this spring and next fall is my role as a leader. Being at the camps really has really helped my confidence as a player. The speed of the game at that high of a level is so much fast and hopefully I can help make practices at UWM more competitive."

All Photos Courtesy of ussoccer.com