Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

This is the women's basketball version of the Men's Basketball All-Decade post from New Year's Eve.

For all but one and a half seasons of women’s basketball in the 2000s, I have had the unique perspective of watching the team grow into one of the top teams in the Horizon League from a courtside seat. First as a student assistant in the Sports Information Office beginning in the Panthers’ 2000-01 run to the NCAA Tournament. Then, after a year away following graduation (2003-04), I was once again courtside at the Klotsche Center in a full-time capacity. I then became the full-time women’s basketball contact in 2005-06... another run to the NCAA Tournament.

In that time, I have witnessed, covered and researched some of the most impressive feats in the program’s history. I have attended approximately 199 pre-season and regular season games, mostly home games until 2005. I have also been fortunate to witness some of the program’s greatest players. Our look back at the decade is not about setting the 2000s apart from the other decades of Panther basketball. In fact, it is only to celebrate another chapter closed in an impressive program history.

Like Kevin O’Connor with the men’s basketball team, I will present what I think are the most memorable moments of the decade. They will be presented in no specific order. They will be released once a week. I will also share the statistical, historical and the atmosphere (for games I have been at) of each event on the program.

I hope you enjoy the moments, as much as I enjoyed covering them. The first moment will be posted here, at the Panther BlogZone, on Friday or Saturday, before the Panthers’ league-opener with Youngstown State. The next nine will also be released around that weekend’s games.

But now, here are the numbers of the decade.

Since the calendar turned to Jan. 1, 2000, the Panthers:
• Have gone 169-128 overall
• Posted a 122-48 league record
• Won two league regular season championships
• Advanced to three league title games
• Won two league tournaments and susequentally went to two NCAA Tournaments

From Jan. 1, 1990-Dec. 31, 1999, the Panthers posted a 122-149 record and a 37-57 record in six conference seasons.

- kevin conway