The Panthers are set for their final game in the NIT Season Tipoff Tournament, as UWM will square off with Colgate today at 5:30. I will again have a live blog during the contest, and you can listen to Bill Johnson's call on WISN (AM 1130) or online through WISN's website.
Here are some other notes as we look toward the game ...
• The Panthers claimed a 96-77 win over Texas State Monday night. UWM led by 26 points at halftime and by as many as 32 points early in the second half in cruising to the win.
• It is still early, but UWM posted season-highs in points (96), shooting percentage (52.1) and three-pointers (12).
• UWM’s 96 points are the most by the Panthers since Milwaukee claimed a 98-57 win over Youngstown State in 2006.
• Milwaukee made 34 free throws and had 43 free-throw attempts. Those are the exact numbers the Panthers had in their league tournament first round win over Loyola a season ago. It is the fifth time in UWM’s Division I history that it has made 34 free throws in a game.
• Meanwhile, UWM was called for 33 fouls in the game - tied for the third-most in the school’s Division I history.
• The two teams combined for 47 turnovers in the contest, with UWM committing 24. That is the most since the Panthers committed 25 in a loss at Drake in 2007.
• The Panthers had 10 turnovers in the win over Texas State, the most since UWM collected 11 in a win over Upper Iowa in November of last year.
• Milwaukee reached double digits in three-pointers made for the first time this season in Monday’s victory. UWM hit double figures in the category 10 times a season ago.
• James Eayrs scored a collegiate-best 28 points, with 22 of his points coming in the first half. He also made a collegiate-high six 3-pointers and played just 19 minutes.
• After going 0-for-5 in the season opener against Concordia, Eayrs has made 13 of his last 26 three-pointers.
• The Panthers got a number of big contributions from freshmen in the win Monday. Lonnie Boga played a season-high 20 minutes and had four points and seven rebounds. Patrick Souter played 26 minutes and had six points while Ja’Rob McCallum came on late and scored eight points in six minutes.
• Ricky Franklin fouled out after playing just 17 minutes Monday but still had 12 points and five rebounds.
• Colgate fell to the hosts from TCU, 76-63, Monday night. The Raiders are now 0-3 this season.
• UWM and Colgate have never met.